Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
Your injury might have started out as something that left you feeling a little clumsy, but the truth is, it could actually be the result of negligence on the part of a property owner. Slip and fall, and trip and fall incidents are the worst type of accident because they happen so suddenly and typically leave you with an injury to deal with. The Law Office of Gabriela C. Novo is experienced in these types of premise liability claims and would be happy to represent you if you believe your accident was due to negligence.
State laws typically mandate that places like buildings, business structures, parking structures, and walkways are all properly maintained, so they are safe places to walk and roam. If you have found yourself injured in one of these places, you will want to consult with a Fort Lauderdale slip and fall attorney as soon as possible. We have created a list of actions you’ll want to take if you’re in a slip and fall situation.
Seek Medical Treatment
The main reason you want to seek medical treatment, obviously, is to start feeling better. However, when you are pursuing a legal case, getting this treatment is critical to your potential legal claim. You will need these records to prove:
- Diagnosis – The professional opinion of a physician is essential to determine your injuries. This will also help your legal team in calculating how you might recover depending on how you are diagnosed. The diagnosis is also important since a sore ankle or elbow, upon treatment and tests, could reveal more significant problems like torn ligaments or broken bones.
- The Future of Your Injury – When you start treatment for your injuries, you begin the healing process. This will result in learning how extensive your injuries are and help physicians gather more data about your prognosis. These are all important factors if you decide to seek a legal claim.
- Accurate Records – Medical records serve as a critical element to slip and fall legal cases. When you seek treatment for your injuries and receive that treatment, records are kept. This “link” between injury and treatment is significant evidence when you are filing a legal claim. These time-stamped records will keep an insurance company from criticizing your accident account or minimizing or devaluing your injuries.
- Reporting Your Accident – Before you leave the accident site (unless you were removed because it was an emergency) locate and report your accident site with the management of the establishment. You can also do this in the days following your accident, but doing this as soon as possible is better from a legal perspective. Take notes as to who you are making this report with and obtain their contact information for your Fort Lauderdale slip and fall attorney.
Other important factors:
Get photographic proof of where you fell and what caused your accident. A simple set of cell phone pictures and short videos to document the scene is important to obtain quickly. Once you report this accident, the cause could be remedied. You would have no proof that a weak structural board, faulty staircase, or unmarked concrete project caused you harm.
Fill out an accident form with property management. This form is used to learn more about the accident site and what transpired there so management can investigate the claim. There is no reason to embellish or misrepresent yourself or injuries in any way. Be truthful and add as many details as you can.
Do not give a recorded statement about the accident without legal guidance. Do not allow yourself to be recorded if the property management asks you to explain what happened or about your injuries. Many mistakes are made during these kinds of statements, likely due to trauma or confusion, and these inaccurate statements could hurt your case.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Law Firm
Many slip and fall incidents can be tough to prove as many pieces of evidence are required for these types of cases. If you plan to seek legal action, hiring a slip and fall attorney in Fort Lauderdale is going to give you the best possible outcome. Not only do experienced attorneys know how to prepare and gather evidence for these types of cases, but they also have resources that you might not have access to such as building codes and maintenance regulations.
Slip and Fall Statistics
The statistics in regards to slip/trip and fall incidents in the U.S. might just shock you. These should give you pause in taking your injuries seriously. These accidents are likely more common than you previously believed they were.
- More than 33,000 people die a year from these accidents according to the National Safety Council.
- The Centers for Disease Control estimate that these injuries cost an individual between $30,000-$40,000 to recover from.
- You have a 1 in 127 chance of dying from a slip and fall accident making these incidents the 6th highest causes of death in America.
- Over 8-million people a year in the United States visit an emergency room as a result of a slip, trip or fall accident.
These statistics show us why there is an entire arm of legal professionals who work tirelessly to seek justice in these cases. Not only are the physical impacts significant, but the financial losses are considerable. We understand that filing a legal claim for a slip and fall incident might feel overwhelming and complicated, but this will be insignificant compared to how the accident could impact you for the rest of your life.
Contact the Law Offices of Gabriela C. Nova today, we would be happy to represent you as your Fort Lauderdale slip and fall lawyer.